About Bethany House
The Bethany Union for Young Women merged into the Unitarian Universalist Urban Ministry (UUUM) in October, 2012, and became Bethany House. Bethany House is a program of the the UUUM. Bethany Union was organized on May 9, 1889, and opened its doors on November 19, 1890, with the purpose to provide a home for women who were unable to support themselves. Since its inception, the purpose has been to make the institution essentially a "home away from home."
In the late 1880s, the number of single women coming to Boston to seek jobs increased, and they had to rely on rooming houses. Bethany Union was founded by a group of Universalists who were concerned that women had no decent place to live. They began with a building in Boston's South End housing seven women, and eventually expanded to 50 rooms through acquisition of neighboring buildings. In 1940, Bethany Union moved to Newbury Street in Boston’s Back Bay, where it now serves 43 women in three adjoining townhouses.